[Toolserver-l] I10N and toolserver subdomains

Christian Thiele apper at apper.de
Wed Dec 29 18:36:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

Am 29.12.2010, 18:50 Uhr, schrieb DaB. <WP at daniel.baur4.info>:

> At Wednesday 29 December 2010 18:39:07 DaB. wrote:
>> The problem is that this header field is either impossible or
>> difficult to change, and even then only browser-wide, not site-wide.
>
> 4 clicks in FF, 3 clicks in IE, 5 clicks in chromium – very hard indeed.
> And
> what's the advantage to look at 1 tool in german and 1 tool in french?

the problem is, that one wants to give consistent links to others. When
you're not able to give a link, which points to the same page (in the same
language), thats not very user friendly I think. Of course the header
field should be used when toolserver.org or www.toolserver.org is the host
and may redirect to en.toolserver.org or de.toolserver.org regarding to
the language preferences.

Another point: I'm sure 99% of internet users don't know about this
browser setting and of the rest a high percentage will not be able to
change it. You know it, I know it, but my mother don't know.

Using this field gives you a a good standard language, but language
switching is necessary too.

Greets,
Christian Thiele / apper