[Toolserver-l] Two beginner questions

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 23:00:22 UTC 2010

Sumurai8 (DD) wrote:
> Well... you can actually send every 3 minutes a PONG-message without
> listening to the IRC-channel and the server will gladly accept that
> ^_^ . That's what I did at the time I didn't know about the
> timeout-option of a socket :) But most of the time it is just better
> to follow the rules and end each line with \r\n (nice, didn't know
> about that, so changed it in my script :) ), send a PONG-msg followed
> by everything that was send after the PING-message, etc, etc.

Some ircds will, with every right to do so, not complete your login into
the network in that case.
Strangely, I don't see that kind of protection in freenode's ircd-seven
despite being alledgedly protected from the javascript spam that plagued
the last days of hyperion[1].

1- http://blog.freenode.net/2010/01/javascript-spam/