[Toolserver-l] Two beginner questions

Sumurai8 (DD) Sumurai8 at wikiweet.nl
Thu Dec 9 16:04:39 UTC 2010

irc listening with python is fairly easy; just use a socket

import socket
IRC = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
IRC.connect(('irc.freenode.net', 6667))
while True:
    text = IRC.recv(1024)
    msgs = text.split('\n')
    for msg in msgs:
        if msg.split(' ', 1)[0] == "PING":
            pong = msg.split(' ', 1)[1]
            IRC.send("PONG %s" % pong)
        print msg

If you want to do periodically things, like writing the output to a
file very 10 minutes, you have to set a timeout. Otherwise the script
will wait at the recv-line till it receives data