[Toolserver-l] where's enwiki_p on s1?

Russell Blau russblau at imapmail.org
Tue Aug 4 16:05:36 UTC 2009

"Andrew Garrett" <agarrett at wikimedia.org>

> This is totally unproductive, unwelcome and unnecessary. Please go
> away if this is the sum of your contribution to this list.
>
> You seem to be making sarcastic comments attacking toolserver admins
> for making an estimate an order of magnitude or two about how long the
> s1 reimport will take. I'm not sure how you could possibly think this
> is acceptable.
>
> I should remind you that we can't make the reimport run faster, that
> we are volunteers (at least, in our capacity as toolserver admins),
> and that when somebody asked how long was remaining, an up to date
> estimate was given within ten minutes. What more would you like?

No offense was intended.  I was trying to be lighthearted.

I did not see your response before posting.  Up until that point, there had
been several other inquiries, both on the mailing list and on IRC, and all
the responses had been rather curt references to the fact that a reimport
was in progress, with no estimate of when it might be completed.

To put it in perspective, I provide professional services for a living.  If
I told a client that a particular task would be done in a few hours, and
several days later it was not done, and if the client then asked what was
taking so long, and my response had the tone of the responses that
Toolserver users had received *prior to yours* earlier this hour -- I'd be
out looking for a new client.

Yes, I know that you are not doing this for pay (although both WMF and
Wikimedia DE do actively solicit for monetary contributions from their loyal
users), and that you cannot make it go any faster.  I think all the users
want is to be kept informed if things are taking longer than originally
anticipated.

Again, I was not intending to attack anyone, and if my comment was
interpreted that way, I do apologize.