[Toolserver-l] Dump-Mail-Service

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 16:54:42 UTC 2008

Stefan Kühn wrote:
> Hello!
>
> At the moment I and some other users of the dumps show every
> day/week/month at http://dumps.wikimedia.org/ for a new dump. I use the
> dump of 10 different languages for my projects (Wikipedia-World,
> Template-Tiger, Persondata), so it is really work.
>
> I hope someone at this list can program a simple to use
> "Dump-Mail-Service". Maybe you have time, please do it! :-)

Wouldn't be preferably to have a daemon on the toolserver downloading
each new dump (or dumps marked as "someone is interested") ?
It would then place them on a common folder for any toolserver user.

When a new dump is out, it could send email alerts (your proposal),
start "cron" jobs...
Apart of that, your tools could at any time check if there's a dump file
newer than your last definition.

PS: You know you can subscribe to RSS feeds for the xml dumps, do you?