[Toolserver-l] PHP problems

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 10:37:36 UTC 2008

(I tried to reply to the new PHP thingy mail before, but my mails
bounced. Resubscribed and trying again)

Since the switch to the new FastCGI PHP wrapper, I observe some
problems with my tools:

1. When using the gzip output handler (default on my tools), output
dies after a screen or two with:
"Content Encoding Error
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
invalid or unsupported form of compression."

2. Intermittent, output of longer-running scripts dies (again, in the
middle of the run):
"Internal Server Error (500)
The server encountered an internal error and is unable to complete
your request at this time. If the problem persists, please contact the
owner of the tool you are trying to use and inform them of this error,
quoting the following information:
  * Request host: toolserver.org
   * Request path: GET /~magnus/flickr2commons.php"

3. Accessing external sites from the toolserver (e.g., copying files
from flickr to reupload them on Commons) dies in >50% of the cases.

So, yes, I do see significant problems with the wrapper as it is now.

Magnus