[Toolserver-l] [Commons-l] Maintainer for FlickrLickr wanted

Bryan Tong Minh bryan.tongminh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 14:55:42 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 12:38 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> I won't realistically be able to continue to maintain the FlickrLickr bot:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:FlickrLickr
>
> The bot consists essentially of two components:
>
> - a Perl command-line script to fill a MySQL database with information
> from Flickr about freely licensed (CC-BY) photos;
> - a Perl CGI script to let users choose photos they want to see
> uploaded to Commons.
>
> Both these scripts are PD code.
>
> I'll note that I haven't run the database updater for a while, and if
> the Flickr API has changed, it may need some fixes.
>
> I'd be happy to provide some initial assistance with setup & use, but
> you'd have to find your own hosting, or migrate it to the toolserver.
> The script doesn't cause terrible load, but it does create local
> copies of the images downloaded from Flickr.
>
> FlickrLickr doesn't currently have a user registration process; I add
> new reviewers by hand to the MySQL database. It would probably be wise
> to change that, since much of my time was spent authorizing users &
> reviewing their work.
>
> It's a pretty powerful tool: Some 10K images have been uploaded
> through the FlickrLickr review process.
>
> Is anyone interested in running & maintaining the script?
>
> Best,
> Erik

Well, I would like to and since I operate most of the other Flickr
tools of Commons I know quite a lot about Flickr. The problem is that
1. I don't know perl and 2. I don't even have time to properly
maintain my own tools. However this sounds like a nice project for the
stable toolserver
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Toolserver/Stable_server>
<http://wiki.ts.wikimedia.org/view/Stable_server> if there are at
least two persons to who are willing to maintain this tool.

Bryan