[Toolserver-l] ipblocks table available

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:57:13 UTC 2007

I have created a view for the ipblocks table.  This view hides private
data related to autoblocks.

There were two possible ways that I could have created this view. I
could have created so that it hides all autoblocks, or I could have
created it so that it only hides the private data in autoblocks.

The second choice is obviously more flexible, but it prevents the use
of indexes on the ip address columns (ipb_address, ipb_range_start,
ipb_range_end).

Because the ipblocks tables are fairly small (even on large projects
like enwiki) and because some tools already do things with autoblocks,
I have decided to choose this slower option.

If we have performance problems related to this view, I will change
the it to the first type without any autoblocks, and potentially
provide a second autoblocks only view for tools that need to see the
autoblocks.