[Textbook-l] Fwd: FW: APC IR handbook: getting on wikibooks

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:27:11 UTC 2008

I received an email this morning from Frederick Noronha, one of the
contacts at the UNDP who helped to oversee the UNDP-APDIP book
donations. He is so pleased with the way the donations went, and how
well the situation is working out for them, that he is trying to set
us up with other NGOs who have books that would be ripe for donationg
to Wikibooks.

Currently, he is trying to arrange donations from APC.org:

http://www.apc.org
http://www.apc.org/books/index.shtml

of their ebooks to Wikibooks. Looking through the list, I think this
donation might only contain a few books (most other listed
publications are not books at all), but it's a demonstration that we
are starting to get some serious recognition from some cool groups.

Below is the email that he sent to me this morning. I have already
replied with some answers to the easy questions. I have removed email
addresses and other contact information from this email because I dont
know if these people want that information archived on the mailing
list. I would be happy to provide that contact information to anybody
who was interested in getting in touch with this group, and helping
with this project.

One question that I could not answer is the attitude towards book
donations of this caliber of the other Wikibooks language projects,
specifically FR and ES. I assume, blindly, that these projects would
accept such donations and possibly assist with the upload effort.
However, I like to find out for certain. Do we have any fluent French
and Spanish speakers who would be willing to ask about this issue on
the respective projects?

Also, it seems that the books to be donated are in PDF format. Does
there exist a GOOD conversion utility from PDF to wiki format? Barring
that, is there a good conversion utility from PDF to DOC, DOCBOOK, or
ODT format (because openoffice can export from these types to
MediaWiki)? If not, we will need to do the formatting and uploading
manually, which isn't going to be pleasant. Maybe we could ask the
guys at Wikisource if they had any good utilities for this task.

--Andrew Whitworth