[Textbook-l] 2008 Non-technical Wishlist

Cary Bass cbass at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 15 17:49:58 UTC 2008

Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> 2) Look for "friends" and "partners". I know the foundation has a
> policy (or at least I seem to remember that it used to) against
> forming official partnerships, but that doesnt mean we can't find
> like-minded organizations and open pathways for communication and
> possibly collaboration. Some sites that immediately come to mind are
> libsuccess.org and textbookrevolution.org. It has been discussed
> before, but we should be aiming to get our best core books pre-loaded
> onto OLPC laptops. These are just a few of many possibly
> collaborations we could form. We can share GFDL-based content and
> contributors between many such "friends".

We've dealt with Pearson Scott Foresman[1], a rather notable textbook
producer, in the past, to the extent that they've donated a huge amount
of no-longer-published illustrations[2].  We've also received letters or
emails when they've reused illustrations from our projects.

I'd certainly consider them a friend.

Cary Bass

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_Scott_Foresman>
[2] <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Pearson_Scott_Foresman>