[Textbook-l] Open Dictionary

Karen Fasimpaur karen at k12opened.com
Mon Aug 4 16:10:56 UTC 2008

We have recently launched the first completely open kids dictionary
(http://dictionary.k12opened.com) and are looking for folks to help
work on it.

This dictionary is the first of its kind intended for kids (though it
can certainly be used for adult learners as well). As words are
completed, they will be reviewed for quality and appropriateness and
ultimately "frozen" for export into a variety of formats, including
text, PDF, ebooks, wikis, web, etc., for use on a variety of devices.

This work is being licensed as a public domain resource that anyone
can use for any purpose. We see this as a fundamental building block
for many OER projects and hope that it will be used by teachers,
students, publishers, hardware manufacturers, VARs, and others. We
have just launched a build-your-own-glossary tool (which should work
well for Wikibooks and other projects; I hope to have an example up
for a Wikibook soon.) Over time, we will be adding other new
features, such as audio pronunciations, pictures, support for
additional languages, and a wide variety of export functions.

This is a mass collaboration project, and we hope that many people
around the world will jump in and add a definition or two.

We would love to see you at the dictionary at
http://dictionary.k12opened.com and hope that you will also spread
the word to others.

Thank you.

Regards,