[Textbook-l] Wikiversity logo

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Fri Oct 27 01:42:37 UTC 2006

Brianna Laugher wrote:

>Hello,
>
>1) Is there a wikiversity mailing list? If so, I couldn't find it at
>mail.wikipedia.org .

Yes, there is:

>2) Is this in fact the official logo for Wikiversity?
>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikiversity-logo.svg

I do not know. There have been some logo contest rumblings so you might
check with others at the mailing list or at the Colloquium:
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Colloquium

>3) If so, whose fool idea was it to use a third-party LGPL icon as a
>logo (rather hard to subsume as {{CopyrightByWikimedia}} like the
>other project logos), and what is the status of this vote?
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikiversity/logo

Looks like the voting process status is layed out. "In *phase 4*, which
lasts from 16 October
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=October_16&action=edit>
until 31 October
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=October_31&action=edit>,
you can now determine the winning logo! *Vote for ONE logo only.* Please
note that if the winning logo should happen to use Wikimedia colours or
have blue as its most prominent colour, those colours *will have to be
changed* afterwards to something which is okay with the Wikimedia
Marketing Department."

Perhaps not so foolish. If the image is actually LGPL then it can be
used without permission on the Wikimedia Foundation when people wish to
publish GFDL'ed materials from Wikiversity ..... correct?

IIRC it took months/years for the Wikibooks people to sort out how to go
about publishing a Wiki Junior book due to trademark and logo issues
surrounding the "Wikibooks" trademark and logo.

If you find out the status of the vote after 31 October 06 please be
sure to let us know at the Wikiversity mailing list.

regards,
mirwin