[Textbook-l] Wikibooks - removal of games walkthrough books

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Apr 22 21:18:31 UTC 2006

We have to draw a line somewhere, and we can argue internally endlessly
without getting much resolution.  So a useful technique is to try really
hard to reference some external standards.

> 1. What about guides to games that are not video or computer games?
> These can include guides on how to play chess and go (which we already
> have), bridge, whist, etc.. together with suitable strategies;
> conceivably this may also include more modern games such as risk or
> monopoly or cluedo. To my mind, guides on well-known intellectual games
> such as these have educational value and are worth keeping, but your
> comments would be welcome.

My question would be whether or not there exist classes at accredited
institutions on the subject which use something similar _as a textbook_.

Notice how this works: first, we can be quite broad in what constitutes
a textbook, for example at my sister's cooking school, they use a
cookbook for a textbook, no question.

But in virtually every university, there are classes on Shakespeare
which use Hamlet as material, but not as _textbook_ per se.

I am unaware of any course at any accredited institution which teaches
risk or monopoly or clue.  Chess and go, probably, but I actually don't
know.  Doom?  No.

> 2. Your comments included a direct reference to wikibooks having
> textbooks suitable for "elementary school, high school, or college
> courses" (and I'm not sure what age groups you meant by "college" as it
> seems to mean different things in the US from what it means in the UK).
> I trust this list was not meant to be exhaustive and that you would
> agree that textbooks related to professional learning (eg accountancy),
> adult learning (eg cookery) and (if not covered by "college") university
> learning are suitable for wikibooks.

Yes!  I think we should be quite broad about it.  The key point is that
there have to be some kind of courses offered by some kind of serious
institution of learning.