[Textbook-l] linearity

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Jun 30 13:50:22 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>LittleDan wrote:

>>I think it
>>would be more appropriate
>>if it linked to something like
>>[[Special:Next]] or {{NEXTPAGE}}.

>I really, really like this idea; that way a particular module (wiki textbook
>page) could be used by several different textbooks. The software would keep
>track of the textbook (and module) the reader is reading from so that "Next
>page" always keeps the reader in the same textbook even when many of the
>modules of that textbook are shared.

Oo, good idea!

In terms of what I was discussing before regarding math texts,
where an instructor might choose different sets of material to go through,
and where we might have to write things differently
depending on what has gone before:
We can put all of the math material in one big database,
while different math texts are offered (or constructed by new users)
that go through different modules in different orders,
according to the needs of different courses.
No need for «If you know concept A, read definition X,
but if you know concept B, then read definition Y.»,
since the reader can just click "Next" in any well designed textbook
to get to whatever definition they're supposed to use.

Now making the /index/ develop automatically and correctly --
that may be tricky, but it should be possible.

-- Toby