[Textbook-l] Some concept ideas

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 06:31:16 UTC 2003

Toby wrote:
>Maveric149 wrote in part:
>
>>IMO it would also make it much
>>less obvious that anyone /can/
>>edit any page just by logging-in
>>-- all they would see was "Protected
>>page" where the edit button should
>>be and "Log-in." That doesn't make
>>it obvious we are a wiki, no?
>
>If we require /everybody/ to log in, then
>it shouldn't say that. It should say "'''Edit
>this page'''" with a nice bright link -- that
>sends them to the log in page (returning
>to the edit page).

That is a bit misleading, no? I've had this trick played on me many times by
clicking on a link that indicates there is content behind it just to be
presented with a "free-registration" screen. My time is precious to me and
when I'm presented with the reg screen I almost always hit the back button.
Likewise many people who just want to test the system by correcting a typo
will be put-off by the reg screen; we thus loose the opportunity to snag
another editor.

The NY Times does this type of thing and as a result I never read it on-line.

If and when "anon edits" become a problem then we can think about restricting
things (IMO this will never be a serious enough problem to warrent such
action).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)