[Textbook-l] I'm leaving for a while

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 14:49:10 UTC 2003

I'm going to summer camp for the next four weeks, so I
won't be here on the list. Between now and then, I
expect you'll either make many important policy
decisions about the textbook, keep talking about for a
long time but not do anything, or slowly abandon it.
Since I'm hoping for the first one, here are my
opinions on the textbook:

1. It should not require logins to work on it. We
don't need more regulation, and I see no reason to
change our current policy.

2. I haven't said this yet, but I think we should
delete every page not listed on the structure page
that is worthless or a stub, without discussion on
votes for deletion.

3. A textbook should be DPOV, which is a subset of
NPOV, but completely different than how NPOV is
applied in the textbook. We should also have links to
other online and Wikipedia references that show other
POVs not represented in the book, or perhaps links to
specially created resources for this.

4. From the start, we should be able to print out the
whole textbook, cover to cover, complete with notices
about copyrights and a cover and back. PDF or PS sound
like good formats, or perhaps just a long HTML/CSS
page? Once this is done, we should make that format
accessable online so others can see how the finished
product would look, but only downloaded, say, a
chapter at a time, to decrease server load.
-LDan