[Textbook-l] hey Sanford

Sanford Forte siforte at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 30 05:48:20 UTC 2003

Great question...

Jimmy and I agree that has something like history might be best because
current WP software is somewhat constrained when it comes to math symbols.

Also, there is a lot of content aavailable within WP that would nicely
leverage to history/social sciences. I'm going to make some inquiries in the
next few days about what year (9-12) history/social science text would be
optimal for a project pilot. In the meantime, here are some links to get
people acquainted with California frameworks (if you're not already).

This http://www.cde.ca.gov/cfir/912stmap.html is a good place to start, with
what California Frameworks call 'standards maps' for various topics.

For instance, here's (found within the above link)
http://www.cde.ca.gov/cfir/standardmap/hss10grsm.xls (or
http://www.cde.ca.gov/cfir/standardmap/hss10grsm.pdf) a 'standards map' for
10th grade History-Social Science; it's very straightforward as to content
requirements, with the blanks filled in by publishers as to what level of
mastery should be elicited by the content. BTW, I think the 'standards map'
is a nice tool that WP might be able to use. I assume it's public domain, as
it's government-created. In fact, I suggest using everything we can from the
frameworks site for this, and future WP K-12 projects. This is a group
within the California education system that does first-rate work.

In a WP project, there's no reason why all areas shouldn't ultimately point
towards mastery. This is another great advantage that open source has over
the current, constrained K-12 publishing model. Also note that publishers
are required to submit standards maps to LEA's (Local Education Agencies,
don't you just love all the needless jargon  ;)

I'll get back to the list within a few days with as much detail as I can
gather about just exactly what year (between grades 9-12) and what topical
areas, aside from math (or science) might be optimal.

Sanford