[Textbook-l] open textbook project

Karl Wick karlwick at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 01:05:36 UTC 2003

Here is another link to a group seeking to develop open
content textbooks:

http://otp.inlimine.org/

A bit of text from their site:

>The mission of the open textbook project is to develop
openly copyrighted (copylefted) textbooks using the free
software development model. The books, developed
collaboratively, would be freely available to download,
modify, print and distribute. Not only are textbooks
unavailable to a great number of students in the US and
abroad simply due to cost, few textbooks are universally
suitable for courses in any given subject and many are
simply sub-standard. The Open Textbook Project aims to
address these issues by using a collaborative development
model which has proven its effectiveness in the world of
free software.

>Development has begun!

>We are currently working on the website and the
interactive tools with which individual textbook projects
will be developed. We'll make  a more formal announcement
when there is more ware and less vapor.

And from the main page:

>in Limine strives to find innovative and thoughtful ways
to improve education and the arts. Our efforts take the
form of well-focused, low cost projects. Our organizational
model is an incubator in which we nurture small, sometimes
risky projects with administrative and financial support
until they are able to stand on their own. We are
constantly seeking new ideas. We don't aim to change the
world (just small pieces of it).

Jimmy: Have you been in any more contact with those Cali
folks, the Creative Commmons fellow or anyone else?