[Textbook-l] linearity

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 05:12:25 UTC 2003

Magnus wrote:
>OK, practical question: How does the software
>on a given page *know* what page is next?
>It doesn't until we tell it. The best place is within
>the page/article/module, don't you think?

Links on the TOC to specific modules would have info in them (after a & or ?)
that would give placement info. So clicking on a link to the first module in
Chapter one would give
http://textbook.wikibook.org/en/organic_chemistry_level_1:module1?textbookTOCid=45369&moduleid=1&chapterid=1

And the "Next Page" link at the bottom would then be able to know where it was
in the order of things and would give:
http://textbook.wikibook.org/en/organic_chemistry_level_1:module1?textbookTOCid=45369&moduleid=2&chapterid=1

NOTE: The moduleid is now equal to "2."

Play around with this link:
http://transitorienteddevelopment.dot.ca.gov/project/stateViewProjectOverview.jsp?projectId=10&&stationId=7

Change the project and station ids and that will change which entry you are
looking at.

>The alternative would be to make an index
>page with links, and then have *every* page
>scan *every* index (well, the ones with links
>to that page) for "Am I in here", parse the index,
>and determine the next page.

I don't think that is needed; just use ids in the urls.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)