[Textbook-l] License issues

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Jul 1 20:16:05 UTC 2003

I've been chatting with Larry Lessig about copyright and license
issues, and of course he's a big proponent of his own Creative Commons
licenses.

http://creativecommons.org/license/

The GNU FDL is confusing and difficult to apply in a wiki context, and
a lot of the language presumes software documentation.

The Creative Commons licenses are much simpler.

I believe that the 'Attribution-Share Alike' license or the 'Share
Alike' license is going to be the right one to use if we did choose to
go that route.

Actually, what I think we should do, from the outset, is dual-license
everything under both licenses.  That ensures that the text is
compatible with Wikipedia.

It's a bit late for Wikipedia proper to do much good with dual licensing,
but for textbooks, it might be a good idea to do it from the outset.

--Jimbo