[Textbook-l] Anonymous contributions

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 03:24:22 UTC 2003

Would not it be more expedient to ask for a non-exclusive general license
to be transferred to Wikimedia Foundation, as Wikimedia's basic corporate
purpose
is to provide free content throughout the world (see
http://www.sunbiz.org/COR/2003/0620/90039369.tif )
a grant of copyright license should be well protected by the Florida State
AGs office,
possible court intervention and the cy-pres doctrine, such a non-exclusive
license would
be vast enough to allow the original author to do whatever else they want
with their
work while giving Wikimedia enough power to prevent infringement by third
parties and
to create any variations of open source licenses or copyleft licences in the
future.
Also conflict of law (private international law) issues would be forstalled
as their would be no
issue of agency (mandate) if the author grants the foundation to grant
further rights in the
future.

Quaere: preventing the original author from using their own work as they
wish does not fit with the
underlying policy considerations behind the open content movement. If
someone is writing
a book and wants to contribute part of their book to a Wikimedia Foundation
project that
should not prevent them from completing their work and exploiting it without
seeking
approval from Wikimedia (which might be withheld),  this would tend to scare
away contributors
who might otherwise have another outlet for their work and who might be
willing to contribute on
a non-exclusive basis.

The analogy with software is not the same as it is with other intellectual
property content that
might be author specific. The reason for having the copyright assigned in
the software context is
to prevent the software which essentially has many coauthors to have one
author to represent
it should anyone try and exploit it without respecting the rights of the
authors. This is not the
same kind of situation where there are contributors to a compilation work
(such as Wikipedia);
in the software situation it is doubtful that each coauthor would have any
possible use for their
contribution as the work functions as a whole, where as with a compliation
each author can
still find some potential use for their work outside of the compilation
(textbook, encyclopedia, etc).

Facts, science and other information cannot be copyrighted anyway, they
already exists outside the domain
of ownership (except when it intersects with patent, trademark or other
statutory protection
schemes).
Alex756