[teampractices] Empathy vs compassion, when helping others

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 28 00:53:16 UTC 2017

Thanks to everyone for continuing this thread. I have some disconnected
thoughts:

We haven't said much about pity. The earlier image said pity meant "I
acknowledge your suffering", which itself sounds like a good thing. But
that doesn't match my understanding of pity, which is that pity has
connotations of superiority or detachment. Maybe it shouldn't, but I think
it does. So giving someone pity (by that definition) is rarely helpful.

We haven't talked very much about sympathy, so I don't have many thoughts
on that yet.

Empathy seems to be internalizing someone else's feelings. As a TPGer,
that's probably not what we want to be doing. Part of the value we provide
is in remaining somewhat neutral, objective, and/or detached from the
situation. Becoming sad, or angry, ourselves, probably won't help us
provide the best counsel.

In my personal life, I tend to be highly empathetic. I actively try to
avoid that at work, which might sometimes result in appearing unemotional,
cold, aloof, etc. It can be difficult to remain unemotional myself, while
still connecting with people emotionally.

I read the original article that Max mentioned but didn't link to, which
described ways that empathy can be unproductive. The one that resonated
with me was that empathy is primarily a 1:1 experience, or 1-to-few at
most. Focusing on one individual can lead to ignoring similar or more
important problems with a larger group. Experiencing an emotion yourself
can also lead to being driven by emotions, which can (depending on the
situation) be counter-productive.

The way the four words are presented in that image (pity -> sympathy ->
empathy -> compassion) seem to imply that we should work our way up the
chain. That each is more valuable or noble then the ones that preceded it.
With that lens, it seems odd that we should consciously avoid empathy, on
our way to compassion. It might just indicate that the visualization in
that graph doesn't fit our context, or perhaps that layout is more
generally flawed. (Maybe the words belong in a circle, or starburst, or
some other shape.)

I was struggling with some of the definitions of compassion that have been
used here, because to me, having compassion is not tied to action.
Compassion, as I understand it so far, is a feeling of basic human
connection. I might not know what you are going through, and I might not
feel it myself, and I might not know what if anything I could do to
help...but I honor your feelings, and want the best for you.

Looking back at the definition in Max's original post, I now see that it
did not call for action. It described compassion as “feeling concern for
another’s suffering and desiring to enhance that individual’s welfare.” As
long it is clear that a desire to enhance someone's welfare won't
necessarily translate into action, that definition makes sense to me now.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation