[teampractices] Patch review culture of Wikimedia teams

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Fri Mar 18 16:05:42 UTC 2016

Perhaps we should split this into "code review tied to a phab task" vs.
"code review that does not have an associated phab task".

TPG probably has no visibility into the latter (if those even exist).

The former would be handled normally by my (and probably other TPGer's)
regular processes. The task would either get stuck in the "In Progress" or
"Under review" column, and after a day or two, we would start asking the
team why it isn't moving. In the case of Discovery, Dan would often notice
it and start asking about it even before I would.

So I think the answer to the first part of your original question would be:
Yes, we would encourage regular review grooming (via phab tasks). The
process for Discovery describes the use of the "Needs Review" column, but
doesn't go into specifics about WIP limits or how long something can sit
there before being considered a problem. As I said, that's about 2 days for
us.

I'm not aware of any data about teams that do better or worse about this.
Discovery wouldn't objectively distinguish between internal and external
contributions, but could make subjective calls about whether to push harder
on something either because it's a critical internal thing, OR because we
would want to avoid disappointing a volunteer.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation