[teampractices] Good article on why we don’t like what we struggle to categorize

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 14 18:45:29 UTC 2016

That's true that even coming up with the possible tags can be
controversial. I sometimes describe smells in terms of colors ("This smells
bluish"), which completely confuses my wife.

It's trivial for computers to manage the tags. And it's trivial for humans
to spontaneously add a million tags as they pop into their head. Creating a
clean system of tags is a difficult human problem.

The article also mentioned that people want to deeply classify things they
love or feel strongly about. Which is not surprising. To me, for the most
part, beer is just "beer"[1]. To beer fans, there are a thousand subtle
variations. Meanwhile, I can distinguish at least dozens, if not hundreds,
of types of boardgames. (Thinking in terms of tags, not taxonomies.)

[1] I mostly put beers into 2 categories: "eww", and "OMG NO get this out
of my mouth!"

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation