[teampractices] [DECISION] TPG Gradients of Agreement

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 2 22:08:40 UTC 2016

At our recent TPG offsite, we agreed to a new tool for measuring gradients
of agreement of individuals, as related to some idea or proposal.

This tool can be used when an idea is first introduced, before discussion,
to determine what type of discussion (if any) is needed. For those of you
familiar with IETF "humming", this can serve a similar (but richer)
function. It can also be used after discussion, as a kind of "vote" to
determine whether or not the group has sufficient consensus to move
forward.

In brief, the available options are: Need more info, No, Neutral, Yes,
Abstain/Don't care. For clarity, these are arranged in a little grid,
rather than on a single-dimensional line.

The details are documented here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group/Team_Norms#Gradients_of_Agreement

For completeness, the work of documenting this was tracked in
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T136456

NOTE: I'm sharing this with the public list, because although it is
currently an internal tool, if it works well as we experiment with it, we
might start to use it outside our team.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation