[teampractices] [FYI] connection between great teams and psychological safety

Anne Gomez agomez at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 29 17:38:34 UTC 2016

Thank you for sharing this, Kevin. I was thinking about sharing it more
widely last week, but didn't get a chance.

Is there somewhere that TPG (or anyone) has accumulated links about things
like this besides the archives of this mailing list?

Anne

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Mukunda Modell <mmodell at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> psychological safety — a group culture that the Harvard Business School
>> professor Amy Edmondson defines as a ‘‘shared belief held by members of a
>> team that the team is safe for interpersonal risk-taking.’’ Psychological
>> safety is ‘‘a sense of confidence that the team will not embarrass, reject
>> or punish someone for speaking up,’’ Edmondson wrote in a study
>> published in 1999
>> <http://web.b.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?sid=e55fd191-97da-4b52-a54d-d1ae6abb0a6e%40sessionmgr111&vid=1&hid=115&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=2003235&db=bth>.
>> ‘‘It describes a team climate characterized by interpersonal trust and
>> mutual respect in which people are comfortable being themselves.’’
>

> This is precisely why I like being a part of #releng, and I think it does
> indeed contribute quite a bit to working effectively "#together."
>

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Subramanya Sastry <ssastry at wikimedia.org
> > wrote:
>
>> I read that article as well .. To me, this section stood out:
>>
>> *"What Project Aristotle has taught people within Google is that no one
>> wants to put on a ‘‘work face’’ when they get to the office. No one wants
>> to leave part of their personality and inner life at home. But to be fully
>> present at work, to feel ‘‘psychologically safe,’’ we must know that we can
>> be free enough, sometimes, to share the things that scare us without fear
>> of recriminations. We must be able to talk about what is messy or sad, to
>> have hard conversations with colleagues who are driving us crazy. We can’t
>> be focused just on efficiency"*
>>

>> On 02/26/2016 12:20 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>>
>> Forwarding this to a wider list, since I think it's of interest to anyone
>> who works with teams.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Kristen Lans  wrote:
>>

>>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/magazine/what-google-learned-from-its-quest-to-build-the-perfect-team.html>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/magazine/what-google-learned-from-its-quest-to-build-the-perfect-team.html
>>> -
>>

>> It's a pretty long article, so for those who are short on time, here is
>> my very very abbreviated tl;dr:
>>
>> Google did a bunch of research to try go figure out why some teams are
>> effective and others are not.
>>
>> "First, on the good teams, members spoke in roughly the same proportion,
>> a phenomenon the researchers referred to as 'equality in distribution of
>> conversational turn-taking.' " Note that there are a number of styles to
>> achieve this, including talking over each other, but fairly and with
>> consent.
>>
>> "Second, the good teams all had high ‘‘average social sensitivity’’ — a
>> fancy way of saying they were skilled at intuiting how others felt based on
>> their tone of voice, their expressions and other nonverbal cues."
>>
>> "But Google’s data indicated that psychological safety, more than
>> anything else, was critical to making a team work."

> [...]

*Anne Gomez* // Product Manager, Fundraising & Reading
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate
<http://donate.wikimedia.org>. *