[teampractices] Setting norms for points field in Phabricator

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 18 20:08:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:54 PM, James Forrester
<jforrester at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> This is mostly an issue for tasks that sit in multiple teams' boxes. For VE
> I've 'til-now set these to 0 if externally blocked (e.g.
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T119780 ), but that only works if the
> other team(s) involved don't want to set points themselves.
>
> When points were only available to the few teams using the Sprint extension
> this was no-one, to a first approximation (off the top of my head, two tasks
> have had clashes like this in the past year, and no-one cared enough to
> enforce their way over others). Now all projects have it, it's much more
> likely to be a thing.

The pedantic scrum nerd that I try to keep locked up in the back of my
skull says that a task that is passed around from team to team is not
of a granularity that estimable for sprint work. It may be an epic or
theme that has been given some estimation for the purpose of backlog
grooming but those points are not comparable to sprint task points.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA