[teampractices] Change the font of incoming Gmails

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 24 22:56:07 UTC 2016

Recently, this list had a thread for what email fonts are easier to read,
based on the following article:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-27/your-e-mail-font-is-ruining-your-life

I tried it, it didn't work for me (I like consistent fonts), but I was
dismayed to discover that, when others did keep the change, I couldn't
change incoming email fonts to control my own user experience. Firefox has
a setting to disallow sites setting unique fonts, via

preferences/content/fonts/advanced

but that doesn't affect Gmail incoming messages.

The fix I found: a Firefox
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/> (and Chrome
<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en>)
add-on called Stylish. That, coupled with a few tweaks to an existing
community-created style
<https://userstyles.org/styles/87925/biggergmail-reading-fonts>, allowed me
to revert incoming fonts to "Sans Serif" (Google's vanity name for
"Arial"). This also keeps things like italics and bold and all those
goodies we like to use for emphasis.

Here's the code from that tweak:

@-moz-document domain("mail.google.com"), domain("inbox.google.com") {
> .gmail_default{
>     font-size:13px!important;
>     font-family:"arial",sans serif !important;
> }
> .adO.adP p,
> .yq,
> .yq *,
> .gs *,
> .b5.xJNT8d *,
> .aV.editable{
>     font-size:13px!important;
>     line-height:1.6!important;
>     font-family:"arial",sans serif !important;
>     }
> .gs,
> .b5.xJNT8d,
> .aV.editable{color:#444!important;}