[teampractices] Old-ish but relevant blog post from Luis Villa on bug wrangling and backlogs

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 12 17:13:38 UTC 2016

An old-ish-y but goody Max, thanks for sharing. I find the following
particularly insightful and relevant to what I see in Wikimedia's
Phabricator instance:

It is important to know that open bugs in a BTS *are not free*. Old bugs
> impose a cost on developers, because when they are trying to search
> relevant bugs, old bugs can make it harder to find the things they really
> should be working on. In the best case, this slows them down; in the worst
> case, it drives them to use other tools to track the work they want to do –
> making the BTS next to useless. This violates rule #1 of a BTS: it *must* be
> useful for developers, or else it all falls apart.

​(and thanks Luis :)​

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Max Binder <mbinder at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Nemo_bis sent me the following and I thought it was an interesting thing
> to share here.
>
> http://lu.is/blog/2014/03/28/i-am-the-cadt-and-advice-on-nee
> dinfoing-old-bugs-en-masse/

Arthur Richards
Sr. Agile Coach: Organizational Collaboration
Team Practices Group <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group>
[[User:Awjrichards]]
IRC: awjr
+1-415-839-6885 x6687