[teampractices] Who doesn't love calendars?

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 8 09:23:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Arthur Richards <arichards at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Thanks Quim for your response - I really appreciate you helping me
> understand this better, but I'm still not fully grokking this, perhaps
> because I am a staffer who exclusively uses Google Calendar. Is the issue
> that there are events that are open to non-staff that are being managed in
> multiple places, making it confusing to know where to look for event
> information? When you say 'Wikimedia events' - do you mean Wikimedia
> movement events, or Wikimedia Foundation events, or something totally
> different?

This is about public events. Either Wikimedia Events (Tech Talks, Office
Hours, Lightning Talks, Architecture RfC meetings, hachathons, editathons,
WikiCons, and more) or other events interesting for Wikimedians (FOSDEM,
FOSSAsia, DebConf, OSCON, Grace Hopper, and many more). There is no single
place to list all these events, even less to query them according to your
interests, subscribe to them for updates, or add them to your calendar.

If a WMF employee like you see some of these events in their Google
Calendars, it is mostly because someone nice walked the extra mile and
added it, probably in addition of two or more public calendars. Volunteers
in our community don't have access to this calendar, so they will need to
add these event to their own calendar manually.

In other words, a big mess prone to fail and not be very useful in many
situations, resulting in less awareness of our activities, and probably one
of the causes for less participation.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127296

> And is the proposal to fully migrate staff and non-staff-specific events
> out of Google calendar into Phabricator?

No, the proposal is not to move any event from WMF Google Calendar to
Phabricator. One part of the proposal is to have integration between
Phabricator Calendar and .ics and/or Google Calendar, so a user like you
could take a future Phabricator calendar (i.e. Tech Talks, Extension
Newsletter weekly IRC standups, or whatever) and copy it over to your
Google Calendar.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil