[teampractices] heterogeneous and hierarchical backlogs, shaving and exploding epics

David Strine dstrine at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 19 19:27:24 UTC 2015

I haven't heard these terms before but I understand the need for #2.

I'm a huge fan of *Agile Estimation and Planning
<http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Estimating-Planning-Mike-Cohn/dp/0131479415> *by
Mike Cohn and I'll reference it for my response.

RE #1
The way I understand backlogs in Scrum, epics and stories for an "iceberg"
in the same backlog.
[image: Inline image 1]
If you have a story large enough to be called an epic, it inherently won't
fit into a sprint. It needs to be broken down. Also, Scrum and agile still
require a team to do some planning to achieve the iceberg shape.

Over several sprints, the team works down through the backlog. Epics start
getting closer to the top. One of my instructors, Ken Rubin has a rule for
this. If an epic appears within 3 or 4 sprints of the top of the backlog,
the team must consider breaking it down or re-prioritize it lower.

IMO problems like #1 crop up when you use a virtual backlog and scrum
board. Anne and I are trying some tests on the FR-tech backlog to produce
the iceberg:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/fundraising-backlog/
We have the first 3 sprints roughed out with goals. Then columns for
quarterly goals beyond that. The Epics can't enter the first 3 sprints
unless they are broken down. This exposed some features that needed to be
addressed immediately.

RE #2
*Agile Estimation and Planning* uses the term "split". I like using the
term "breakdown". I've also heard "decompose". I think people would
understand your terms just fine.

On the meta idea of SP costing:
The general assumption is that the new smaller stories are re-costed after
the epic is split or changed. In your exploding example, there really isn't
an epic left. There should just be smaller stores and they should all have
their own costs. Again I think this is a tool problem. The epic just
happens to exist after the new tasks are created. In a real world paper
board, the epic would be crumpled up in a trashcan while the smaller
stories remain in the backlog.