[teampractices] Email naming in Google Apps Mail

Gergo Tisza gtisza at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 15 18:09:30 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Arthur Richards <arichards at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> I have no idea why this also gets used as the sender's name, but
> presumably it's something that mailman (our mailing list software) is
> doing. This would be a good question to ask about on wikitech-l or of the
> WMF ops staff (eg in #wikimedia-operations on freenode) since they maintain
> our lists infrastructure.

Normally, it does not.  (It is used in the Reply-To: field, but From: is
the person who wrote the mail, and that's the one Gmail displays.) I
suspect Max is using digest mode. (With Gmail there is no reason to do that
IMO, it is great at grouping related conversations.)

The only places where the list name shows up clipped in Gmail is the To:
field, and that reflects whatever the post author's mail client put there,
which is in Gmail's case the name of the contact. Renaming the list
probably would not change it.