[teampractices] Phabricator's "Epic" tag...why?

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 1 16:07:03 UTC 2015

I'm trying to figure out what benefits the Epic tag actually provides, and
so far I haven't thought of any.

Several teams are putting [EPIC] or EPIC: or [<four-letter-bird] in the
title of epics, all of which do a better job of identifying epics than the
Epic tag. The tag is only visible when you view the detail, whereas a
freeform text identifier in the title is visible in workboards, lists, and
even email notifications.

I can't think of a case where it would be helpful to see all the epics in
phab. I can't even think of a case where it would be helpful to filter all
the epics within a project. And if you did, you could just filter on the
word "epic" in the title, if teams chose that approach.

So my bold question: Should we just eliminate (or at least deprecate) the
Epic tag?

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach
Wikimedia Foundation

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Help us make it a reality.*