[teampractices] [FYI] Analysis of Public and Private email lists

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Tue Jul 28 08:48:29 UTC 2015

Le 28/07/2015 00:29, Kevin Smith a écrit :
> Last month, I did a quick analysis of how Team Practices was using its
> public and private mailing lists. The results are here[1]. The nutshell
> summary is that TPG (during the period that was analyzed) used its
> private list much more than the public list. In many cases, we could
> have been more open and transparent.
>
> Team Practices has had some discussions about these results, and
> generally raised our awareness, but we have not explicitly declared any
> changes to our norms.
>
> [1]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group/Mailing_list_analysis

Hello,

The ReleaseEngineering team has a team private list (which also include
our liaisons in other teams) and a restricted IRC channel.

The list is mostly used for:
*  project check points and internal bikeshedding before we reach out
publicly.
* random remember emails (time to fill in your quaterly goals folks!)
* some access rights discussions

The IRC channel is for personal matters, tongue in cheek and sometime
serious discussions about political/drama issues (rare).

Overall, that is really a very thin percentage of our interactions. Most
everything is on Phabricator public tasks / wikitech-l / QA list.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso