[teampractices] Make a tag for quarterly goals?

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 1 17:06:10 UTC 2015

Hey Dan,

This has been an ongoing and as yet unresolved point of discussion with
some teams. There are concerns about goals-as-epics, from a long-term
process perspective, as well as overwhelming Phab with proprietary tags (a
problem that Bugzilla apparently suffered). Andre, Joel A, Kevin S,
Kristen, and I all chatted at some point about this on
#wikimedia-teampractices. While I can't say we found ultimate resolution,
we did decide that the simplest thing to do would be to use the Epic
project Tag, and apply it to goals-as-epics "tasks."

Another thing to consider is Phab's "Goal" category. Joel and the VE team
are apparently going to experiment with that.

I wish I could better explain where we landed, but I am still wrapping my
head around it. Maybe one of the others could illuminate the issues more
clearly than I?

Max