[teampractices] "It will never work in theory"

Sam Smith samsmith at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 23 15:58:23 UTC 2015

I'm reminded of Glenn Vanderburg's "Real Software Engineering" from Lone
Star RuCo 2010 [0].

He argues that software engineering as it's taught isn't engineering. He
then explores engineering and settles on a definition. After having defined
engineering he proposes that the analogy between software development and
engineering that we currently draw is incorrect and that we should redefine
software engineering thus:

Software Engineering is the science and art of designing and making, with
> economy and elegance, [...] systems so that they can readily adapt to the
> situations to which they may be subjected

With that definition in mind, he concludes that strict application of agile
methodologies is engineering for software developers.

–Sam

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP9AIUT9nos