[teampractices] Guideline for tasks assigned

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 12 04:45:21 UTC 2015

On 12/15/2014 03:24 AM, Quim Gil wrote:
> Can we agree on this basic guideline, at least at a WMF Engineering &
> Product level?
>
> "You should have a task assigned to yourself only when you are prepared
> to work on it."
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management#Assigning_tasks

Yes.  I would also add that people are not just allowed, but encouraged,
to ask to take over a bug if there has been no recent activity.  (In the
real world, people do not always follow the above quoted rule perfectly
without being prompted).

They can also consider Just Doing It (assigning it to themselves then
fixing it) if there has been no activity in a *long* time, but please be
cautious in doing this.

Matt Flaschen