[teampractices] How do teams track work not related to goals?

David Strine dstrine at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 17 17:05:58 UTC 2015

I'll ask a more complicated question. Does it matter? If you think your
goals are being affected my other work, then it's probably worth testing.
If not, then it might not be a productive use of your time.

We've had several conversations about tracking types of work. I believe it
is more accurate and efficient to start with broad categories and slowly
delve deeper. Also you need to strike a balance between tracking a lot of
variables and not driving your team crazy with record keeping.

Fr-tech is tracking unplanned work to start. We are 8 weeks in (4 sprints).
We're only now getting patterns.

In general, objective and empirical data should speak for itself. If you go
into some investigation or analysis with a preconceived notions, then you
need to try and disprove your idea (think null hypothesis). Otherwise
you're running into selection and confirmation bias.