[teampractices] Measuring core vs maintenance vs new work

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 7 20:50:04 UTC 2015

Thanks Joel (and Terry) for that explanation.

My next question is about measuring:

<quote name="Joel Aufrecht" date="2015-08-07" time="11:00:33 -0700">
> So I'm leaning toward a default recommendation of:
> 1) Try to track the three buckets (core, maintenance, new functions), and
> try to confirm that teams can actually differentiate between them cleanly
> enough
> 2) don't track bug vs feature
> 3) don't track planned vs unplanned, but do be careful not to automatically
> conflate unplanned with maintenance.

How should a team that doesn't use story points quantify and give a
ratio to the three buckets?

Story points being, I assume, how teams in eg Discovery, Editing, and
Readership will be measuring the size of their buckets.

Thanks,

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |