[teampractices] "Maintenance" vs "New work"

Tomasz Finc tfinc at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 7 20:21:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I think the Discovery team could be much more easily categorized in with
> the mobile apps teams vs in with Editing or any team in Infrastructure

Sometimes. There are elastic search upgrades, capacity planning, and
dealing with the occasional sunspots. The reason that doesn't consume
all of our time is the great work that Nick, Chad, and others have
contributed to the core project and refining our operational stack.
That being said the team is internally training actively to better
understand these components to provide better redundancy and a higher
bus factor.

Stay tuned to the next production issue and keep us honest about how well we do.

--tomasz