[teampractices] "Maintenance" vs "New work"

Dan Garry dgarry at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 7 19:52:02 UTC 2015

On 7 August 2015 at 12:41, Kevin Smith <ksmith at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I also go back to the "bug vs. feature" distinction. Discovery is spending
> a lot of time improving search. Is that maintenance, or new features? I'm
> saying it's new features, because it is innovation aimed at meeting a
> quarterly goal.

I agree with this. That said, I think it depends who's asking.

If a user of our site came to me and asked me if I was "developing new
features", I would say no, we're trying to improve the features we've got.
Discovery is currently not really building anything new and shiny from the
user's perspective.

>From the purposes of answering Terry's question, I think the answer is very
much that this is new work we're undertaking.

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery