[teampractices] How to document future plans beyond the top goal for each team

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 9 09:07:03 UTC 2015

In the past, the "Wikimedia Engineering/2014-15 Goals" wiki page and
the quarterly reviews were the main venues to communicate and discuss
future plans.

Now quarterly reviews are strictly about the past quarter, and only the top
goal of each team is documented in the wiki page. This is probably good
enough to have a clear top level view of the critical WMF activities.
Still, this leaves out a lot of planning and work.

There is also the #Roadmap project in Phabricator, although this is
restricted mostly to user/developer facing software changes, which again
doesn't reflect all the work teams do.

What ECT is doing now is:

* document the single top goal in
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2014-15_Goals as
instructed
* document our other quarterly goals in a Phabricator task blocked by the
related epics, i.e. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T93770
* If any epic deserves to be on #Roadmap or #Notice, then we associate
these tags accordingly.

Is this a good approach?

--
Quim Gil