[teampractices] Offsite meetings

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 3 15:46:22 UTC 2015

<quote name="Bryan Davis" date="2015-04-02" time="20:11:43 -0600">
> Personally I think having an "offsite" in SF is not really an offsite
> since the portion of the team that lives in/near SF will probably head
> home at the end of the day instead of hanging out with the remoties
> who are trapped in a hotel.

This. It's not an offsite and doesn't follow best practices of having a
team with remote members in it. It just continues the divide between
"local" and "remote" when we have to remember: given there's a high
percentage (what is it? 40%?) of engineers being remote from SF then *we
are all remoties*.

> Having folks be away from home for more
> than 12 days can be a burden as well depending on their home
> situation. The combination of these two things makes me personally
> think that an offsite in conjunction with All-hands is the worst case
> scenario.

+1

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |