[teampractices] Trellos & Minglers, what is blocking your migration to Phabricator?

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Sat Nov 1 02:08:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 4:21 AM, S Page <spage at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> Flow has a large backlog in Trello we'd like to migrate, but only those
>> cards that don't have associated bugs. If anyone has done any automation of
>> Trello/Mingle migration, speak up here and on
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T36
>>

> Two days ago we learned about another project that had migrated "40.000
> Trac/Trello tickets to Phabricator" https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T821

That's gold, Jerry, gold!
So export-trello.py https://secure.phabricator.com/P1407 followed by
import-tickets.php https://secure.phabricator.com/P1405

I was picturing something lighter weight, but presumably it's "a simple
matter of programming" to turn that into a script that can convert a
particular group or named set of Trello cards into Phabricator tasks.

Script says:

> # If you are willing to take COMPLETE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WRECKING YOUR
> # PHABRICATOR INSTALL you should MAYBE consider this script as an
> # EXAMPLE to help your own design. NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.
> # YOU SHOULD NOT RUN THIS SCRIPT. A DRAGON WILL EAT ALL OF YOUR DATA.

Followed by picture of dragon. Love it :)

> I wonder, can we help you help us moving faster in this front?
> I wonder how feasible it is to start the migration sooner with a bit of
> manual work, taking into account that the teams need to learn and get used
> to the tool anyways.

Sure, but why do you want us to move faster? You're busy, teams are busy.
Again the huge win is avoiding the $#@! dance of making a card for a
bugzilla bug then keeping the bug and project in sync. Phabricator would
have to be unimaginably awful as a project manager for us to reject that
unification; it isn't.

> I assume Phabricator will have a "Flow extension" project for all the
>> migrated Flow bugs.
>>

> Here is a sample of what you will get:
> https://bugzillapreview.wmflabs.org/tag/mediawiki_extensions-flow/

Interesting, the default workboard
https://bugzillapreview.wmflabs.org/project/board/10/ has just a "Backlog"
column.

>> When the Flow team switches to Phabricator we'll add a subset of them to
>> a "Flow-sprint-K" project for the current sprint and work with that
>> project's workboard. Maybe we'll have a "Flow-backlog" project as well.
>>
> On the one hand since the migrated Bugzilla component already has a
default workboard with a default Backlog column, it seems we might as well
manage all bugs there. On the other, if a team is responsible for multiple
components (Flow, Echo, Thanks) then maybe it's easier to have a
"Flow-team-backlog" project that can span them all.

With the help of Arthur (no less!) we are drafting the new guidelines /
> conventions at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T558

Yes and people have edited
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management

Questions:
>> * Can you limit who can edit a workboard (drag cards, reorganize, add
>> /delete columns)?
>>

> Mmm... requires more investigation. Columns seem to have their own
> policies, but I'm not sure who can change them, and whether it is per
> columns or per board. See https://phabricato and
> columnsr.wikimedia.org/project/board/35/column/65/
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/35/column/65/>  Can you
> create a task?

Yes I can create a task in any column, and I think I can "tag" a task with
any project. It's strange, I can create and edit columns, and Manage board
to reorder them, but I can't seem to drag the tasks on that workboard
between the existing columns.

> I can see how this will be needed in some circumstances.

I can see users adding a "Bugs WMF is too incompetent to address" column to
the default workboard for projects, or tag their pet task with project
"Critical focus areas for WMF board" :-)

Exciting stuff.
--
=S Page  Features engineer