[teampractices] Bugzilla migration Re: Project management tools review: Regressions/tradeoffs; migration

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Sat Mar 29 07:38:50 UTC 2014

On 03/26/2014 09:58 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
> As for history: I'm not sure there is value in migrating all resolved
> bug history, since the task status of Phabricator does not exactly match
> Bugzilla anyway, and contains a lot of irrelevant information to strip
> like gerrit patch links, keywords, and more. By importing all of
> Bugzilla, we're partially replicating many of the UX problems it
> presented,

It's not a big deal to import verbose stuff like Gerrit patch links,
since it still only applies to previously created bugs.

> and perpetuating some particularly gross ones (like forcing
> exposure of user email addresses in bug reports and comments).

There is no need to display email addresses in plain text.  If we do a
simple 1-1 user mapping, we can attribute posts to Phabricator users
(which will start with the same group as Bugzilla users), without
showing the full email address in plain text.

Matt Flaschen