[teampractices] Bugzilla migration Re: Project management tools review: Regressions/tradeoffs; migration

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 25 23:50:55 UTC 2014

If we end up going for Phabricator... it looks like the main bottleneck is
the migration from Bugzilla (based on casual conversations with Andre and
Chad).

Going for Phabricator while keeping Bugzilla would be a half-backed
solution that would perpetuate the divide/duplication that we are seeing
now in some projects ("You can track this issue at...")

Our Day 1 with Phabricator must include already the +60k tickets, and URL
must be redirected automatically (Bug #1 == Task #1), otherwise it will be
a mess.

As Andre said, any ideas are welcome.

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014, Andre Klapper <aklapper at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2) Migration
>
> I expect this to be complicated. And I appreciate proving me wrong.
> Tickets themselves, Attachments, Access restrictions
> ( https://secure.phabricator.com/T3820 ), Priorities, Assignees, User
> accounts and their passwords.
> Mapping products and components.
>
> I'm not aware of any precedents.
> I asked on IRC if there's any migration code available (Facebook once
> migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator) and was pointed to
> https://secure.phabricator.com/T3179 :
> Phabricator has an API ("Conduit") and Blender project imported from
> Sourceforge/GitHub and attached their scripts. We have people in the
> community who imported from Sourceforge to Bugzilla (Merlijn).
>
> Somebody would have to write migration code and test it thoroughly.
>

> 3) Bugwrangler role/scope; Tech maintenance
>
> WMF's bugwrangler role would likely change to more bug report handling
> and less tracking/planning tool code maintenance.
> Somebody would have to work on the new tool's code to make it fit our
> needs, obviously.
>

> Cheers,
> andre
> --