[teampractices] Project management tools review: Regressions/tradeoffs; migration

Rob Lanphier robla at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 25 22:58:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Andre Klapper <aklapper at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> * How to do cross-component tagging ("keywords"): If nothing similar
> exists, use dependencies? Are keywords important to us?

Hi Andre,

I became intensely curious about this after our conversation this
morning, so I did a little searching and discovered what the plan is
for this.  Evan (Phabricator Dictator Phor Life) takes the same dim
view of free-form tagging that the Bugzilla devs and many other devs
often take.  Which is fine in this case because we don't absolutely
need free-form tagging for Bugzilla parity; we only need a curated
list of keywords.

Evan's solution to non-free-form tagging is projects can be used as
tags, since a task can be associated with many projects.  I think this
works, other than the fact that it's quirky and feels hackish from a
user interface perspective.  Not ideal, but acceptable.  On the plus
side, that does cut down on the number

Moar details here:
https://secure.phabricator.com/T390#22

Rob