[teampractices] Things that would make Trello even better

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 18 14:32:18 UTC 2014

Checking your suggestions against Phabricator:

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014, Jon Robson <jrobson at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 1) Ability to keep a sense of priority order across columns. It's
> annoying when everything is in an order in a column and you drag
> across and screw up that order

Tasks are sorted by priority in Phabricator, and the priority is visibly
marked by a color band. If you move a task from a column to another one, it
will be prioritized according to the position where you leave it. For
instance, if you have a "Normal" task in a column and you place it among
"Normal" tasks in another column, it will keep this priority, but if you
place it between "High" tasks it will change its priority and color code to
"High"

See (but don't mess) http://fab.wmflabs.org/project/board/31/ (therea re a
couple of Mobile test projects created by Toomasz and Arthur, if you want
to play with them.

2) When you archive a board, you can't see it (unless your an admin?).
> Seeing old boards is useful for historic purposes.

In Phabricator you can see them, i.e.
http://fab.wmflabs.org/project/board/14/

Cards (Tasks) have IDs e.g. http://fab.wmflabs.org/T61

> 4) Ability to size cards. It would be useful to get a sense for which
> cards are more work than others.

Currently we have an optional custom field for agile estimation points in
tasks. Basically, you can add any custom fields to tasks.

On a side note,  I notice in Trello Gold there is a card aging
> feature. This might be useful to explore to bring attention to cards
> that hang around a long time. HAs anyone got experience of this?

"There are two modes of card aging: “Regular” and “Pirate”. In regular
mode, cards become progressively more transparent and “fade out” the longer
they remain untouched. In pirate mode, cards will tear, yellow, and crack
like an old pirate map." --
http://help.trello.com/customer/portal/articles/1463776-card-aging

Ok, Phabricator doesn't have this. Considering that the average age of an
open bug in Wikimedia is 373 days, I'm not sure we want to have this visual
cue either...

Then again, in practice boards are supposed to correspond either to
time-based sprints (where aging is wrong by design) and the default pool of
tasks of a project, where tasks are supposed to be sorted by priority, and
where you go to fish every time you plan a new sprint. You can always sort
the tasks of a project by their date of creation or last update:

http://fab.wmflabs.org/maniphest/query/yewkVtpdFiE_/#R

http://fab.wmflabs.org/maniphest/query/Rh3w2q.2WTv1/#R

--
Quim Gil