[teampractices] remote pair programming tools

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Fri Jul 11 08:58:05 UTC 2014

Le 10/07/2014 18:56, Sumana Harihareswara a écrit :
> Is there a set of best practices/tools, ideally cross-platform and
> open source, that we could use to help Wikimedia developers remotely
> pair program? What are folks currently using? Some resources:
>
> http://www.pairprogramwith.me/
>
> http://opensourcebridge.org/wiki/2013/Remote_Pair_Programming
>
> https://github.com/livingsocial/ls-pair

All those tools are suffering a common bias: it is not my favourite editor.

Pairing with others, we use Google Hangout with screensharing. I would
fire my editor, do my hack.  Then push to Gerrit to have the remote side
fetch it and edit it with its favourite editor.

That works well when you code for at least 10-15 minutes and the other
party is merely learning from you.

There is a coding dojo group in my city that recently switched to being
a virtual meeting.  I haven't attended yet but the idea is:

- everyone connected on the same server over ssh
- text mode editor (vim/emacs)
- use screen/tmux to share the terminal

With Hangout/Skype/whatever for communication.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso