[teampractices] Mingle

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 18 22:05:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Jared Zimmerman <
jared.zimmerman at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> a few thing:
>

>    - Phabricator devotes about a 5th of the screen to the header of the
>    board, this is basically useless for day-to-day
>    - Cards in Phabricator have a consistent height irrespective of
>    content
>    - Phabricator uses icons for all the functions, where as a trello uses
>    content editable for things like editing column titles
>    - In Phabricator, edit is a specific button, and a small target at
>    that, compared to the full card target in trello

These points about workboards have been shared at
https://secure.phabricator.com/T4421#19

>    - When you compare the view of individual cards Phabricator duplicates
>    all of the board permissions onto each card (about half of the screen)
>
>  As Steven say, each card (task) can have different permissions, be in
different projects, have different dependents... Still, I agree with you
that vertical space could be used more efficiently, hence
https://secure.phabricator.com/T4836

>    - Phabricator starts your cursor in the card title, something that is
>    probably less likely to be needed to change on a day-to-day basis
>
>  I can't reproduce without a description of the steps to end up in this
situation.

>    - Phabricator puts the area for new comments at the bottom rather than
>    the top, forcing you to scroll every time you want to add something to a
>    card.

I was about to create a task for this, but actually I think their current
approach makes sense in an open development environment. Before posting you
have to go through the existing discussion, at least scrolling. Long pages
are collapsed automatically (when you visit them twice, or when you
comment, I'm not sure), saving you some scrolling.

Nothing looks like a showstopper or something difficult to implement by a
convinced Phabricator developer. The jump from Bugzilla to Phabricator does
imply significant changes in UI and paradigm. The jump from Trello/Mingle
sounds more like a matter of some features missing (although I don't think
they have been identified yet, or at least we don't have tasks created for
them) and getting used to a new environment.